Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Thoughts on Brave New World

I'm not an experienced reader. I read for entertainment and I have no authority over what is considered "good" and "bad" literature. I just have opinions based on things I have experienced...and in my opinion, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley has everything that makes literature great (to me).

After reading this book as an assignment, I can say that for the first time in awhile..I completed an assignment that didn't even feel like an assignment. I actually enjoyed it (apparently, this is unheard of in high school). The book was a page turner. As I got into the book, I found myself going beyond the assigned chapters. As everything progressed in the plot I was hooked on what would happen next.

Why? Why did this book hook me so much? First of all, Huxley created a complex world within the book. I like this in literature. I like intricate back-stories that are easy to understand yet fascinating. It makes me feel like I'm reading something of quality because of the work and dedication the author must have put into the plot. Secondly, the events within the book were bizarre yet plausible. Technically we could all fall victim to a consumer culture the way the denizens of the World State did. Thirdly, I loved all the dualism and symbolism used by Huxley to represent such complex and interesting things. I especially enjoyed his doubleness of character (Charles Dickens style). I found it fascinating how he used the names of the characters to represent actual people and thinkers of our own society such as Henry Ford and Karl Marx. It helped further the warning nature of the book.


For anyone that hasn't read it, I highly recommend.






No comments:

Post a Comment