Wednesday, October 9, 2013

GREEN EGGS AND HAMLET

a) I don't know much about Hamlet. All I basically know is that it was written by Shakespeare. I have heard of Hamlet, but only by name. I have never received any formal education in it.

b) I know a few things about Shakespeare. I know that he is considered one of the most important figures in English literature and he was a master in the art of all that is written. I also know he was alive during the Victorian Era in England and that he wrote plays for the Globe Theater in London (I'm not 100% sure about that one). I've also read a few things online where people have debated the authenticity of his art. Many people doubt him because it is hard to believe someone as simple as he could have created works of literature that are considered as some of the most beautiful works of literature ever created. I have also read two of his works, Romeo and Juliet and Julius Caesar, which were requirements for previous English classes.

c) When in any English class the name "Shakespeare" is mentioned, it is almost always met with disapproving frowns and groans from the students. I believe this has to do with the fact that while Shakespeare wrote very beautiful literature, it is also hard for the average student to comprehend. I consider myself above average and it still poses a great challenge for me. I have to read over and over for the text to make sense, and even then I still have difficulties comprehending the basic gist of it.

d) What has always helped me when working with Shakespearean literature is finding tools online, like videos where his plays have been reproduced. Visually seeing the literature allows me to better understand, it is also preferable to the tedious task of having to read old British English and attempting to make sense out of words that to us (living in America in the 21st century) just don't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment