Wednesday, October 30, 2013

FILTER BUBBLES

a) I learned from the video that the Internet is personalized in a way that cannot necessarily be classed as beneficial.
b) Previous to watching the video, I had heard some things about complex algorithms being used to personalize our search results and Facebook news feed so that we only received the information that was relevant to us. It seemed like a good idea, but not so much now as I think about it under the context of the information I just recently acquired. We should all have access to the same information, regardless of race, sex, gender, or economic background.
c) We use the Internet so much and it has become our main source of information...I now wonder if this could be used in a way that the web developers and the corporations that pay them could benefit from. For example, we are only given the information that those guys want us to know.
d) One way to improve the effectiveness of my search is to search for specific things and dive into the links that my search engine provides me, instead of just clicking on the first few links on the first page.

No comments:

Post a Comment