Thursday, February 20, 2014

BRAVE NEW ESSAY TOPIC

Prompt: Novels and plays often depict a character caught between colliding cultures whether national, regional, ethic, religious or institutional. Such collisions can call a characters sense of identity into question. Obviously, John is such character. Write a well organized essay in which you describe his various responses to the "brave new world" and explain their relevance to the work as a whole.

Source here.



The way I would go about answering this question is to begin a complete characterization of John. I would analyze who he was (physically and personality-wise) and what/who he represented. I would then identify this collision he was caught in between and try to tie its importance to the text. I would look for ways in which this collision enriched the text and things it revealed about the work as a whole. I would try to use as many quotes and textual support as possible to strengthen my argument. The best way to organize all those ideas would be through some sort of graphic organizer, perhaps like a small mind-map that could aid me as I wrote the essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment